Friday 20 September 2019

Stoke-on-Trent seeing the ceramics

Can’t say I’ve ever been to Stoke-on-Trent before but having a romantic idea of the brick built kilns from watching episodes of the great pottery throw down I may have expected something different. It’s the ceramics biennale, displays of work by current artists and new takes on some traditional forms  like the flat back sculptures that used to represent everything from murderers to bible stories with little charismatic but crudely modelled groups and individuals. It’s been a good day for inspiration. A reminder to not neglect my art and be bolder, keep confidence in my work and create things that mean something to me that will resonate with someone else and not necessarily with everyone. Forgot to take a sketchbook so a lot of things are in my camera but here are a few things that stood out on the day. I have no idea where they film the pottery throw down but it isn’t where I’ve been today. The old Spode factory is a grand exhibition space but reminded me of the loss of a massive industry.





1 comment:

Anne said...

Looks lovely Angie. Yes you are right to carry on with your art interests. It's so easy to let other things crowd in.